I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

16 - 18 NOVEMBER 2011 MADAGASCAR – Country number 24


16 - 18 NOVEMBER 2011
MADAGASCAR – Country number 24 – MADAGASCAR
ANTANANARIVO or “TANA”
An easy afternoon flight, with Air Madagascar (who were 50% cheaper than Kenya Airways) with dinner and wine to arrive at Antananarivo’s airport to find no hassles getting a visa on entry here. I collect my pack and exit arrivals to find my name on a piece of paper for my booked taxi into town. 
I’m staying at the Sakamanga which seems to be a very groovy organisation with hotel, excellent restaurant, great take away shop and even a souvenir store. My room is lovely (I am paying in Euro here!) but when I check in and ask if I can walk around I’m advised that its dangerous to walk around at night here. So I try their take away a few doors up for a beer and of course my pathetic french gets me a beer served in a wine glass when I’d wanted the small bottle!! The ol’ ver vs bute conundrum! lol
I love these taxis
I have booked my dates giving me two days before the tour and two days after the tour to check out Antananarivo so next morning I’m keen to look around the city,  founded in the 17th century and with a population of over a million! I tackle the Zoma (city market) first, once the largest market of the world so they say and finding the street where most locals breakfast I try one little hole in the wall and order a Portuguese omelette; so oily, so cheesy and so delicious, it’s a pity they don’t make tea so well, but I’m happy anyway. Tana is another city built on a huge hill so I take one of the very groovy taxis – they are little Citroens with sun roofs, all the way uphill to a rocky ridge at 1,431m  where the palace and the nearby Museum are.
Fighting chameleons
The Rova (Queen’s Palace) has been closed after a fire a few years back but walking around the back to check the views from here, I find local kids catching chameleons from the trees using long poles, then lay the poles together on the ground and watch the chameleons fight! Perhaps chameleons are solitary folk? lol The Musee Andafiavaratra is crowded with school kids but its nice to see their excitement over the exhibits, which are an odd, dusty and varied collection from the Merina monarchs.

I spend the rest of the morning walking downhill taking any roads towards the centre of town and am so enamoured of the views, the atmosphere and general ambience of Tana that I cannot walk 20 yards without getting my camera out to take another photo. Strolling past churches I find one built in 1874 commemorating where a queen threw christians off the cliff to their death, in 1849! There are tidy flower beds in yards and streets, cute taxis motoring up impossibly narrow, curving streets and wonderful vistas on a lovely sunny day. It is so laid back, fashionably French and another world away from the Africa I left in Nairobi yesterday. From the posters around town I gather that sex tourism is an ongoing problem here on Madagascar. Tourists coming from Europe looking to be accompanied by very young local girls YUCK!
I contact Marie Paul, a local WAGGGS rep, who then contacts the former Federation President, Marthe to telephone me and I arrange to visit this afternoon. Here the Federation has three Girl Guide Associations – catholic, protestant and non-denominational. Easily finding the GG headquarters in the same street as where I am staying their upstairs offices are staffed by Guides who receive office training. I meet finally Marthe after our numerous emails, and her daughters, we chat to try and find some dates that suit us – she is heading up country the days I have returned from the tour –so we arrange to meet for lunch the next day. They give me a Federation badge and a lovely handbag made of local materials leaving me feeling so inadequate having given small tokens in return.
The martyrs were thrown from here!!
More wandering about this lovely town, taking in old colonial architecture , checking out the shops with loads of very nice kitsch, all suited to the very modern frenchie on holiday! Taste testing a couple of tea rooms and of course making sure I take the downhill roads is a very successful tactic. Now I can make sense of the city map and orient myself enough to work out where the markets are, what stairs lead where and where else I want to see. On my return from the Gap tour Sakamanga only have a more expensive room, so I head over to the Chalet de Roses where the GAP tour begins tomorrow – it’s not nearly as lovely as the Sakamanga however it does have a room for my return dates so I can relax knowing I won’t have to look around for another place at the end of the tour. AND it’s near a convenient set of stairs that head straight down into town and the market so that is a big plus.
Next day I move hotels but on arrival at Chalet, I’m told that my roommate is still asleep so I leave my pack and walk to another side of town to find the Muse de l’art et de l’archeologie closed (is it ever open?), more shops to check out after the tour and find my way down to Lac Anosy – the heart of Tana. So called because it is heart shaped it looks very green but there are loads of folk strolling around making for a lovely atmosphere! Try finding the flower market to no avail so I take a taxi back to the Chalet where my roommate is now out and they are rearranging the room into a twin. I quickly change for lunch and meet with Marthe at Sakamanga from where we walk to a local restaurant for lunch where we are also joined by Patricia and Nene, two young leaders and Marthe’s daughter. The restaurant is on the swcond floor, set up in a former home and there is a young man playing a piano during the time we are here, making for a lovely atmosphere.  I ask lots of questions about Madagascar’s current state of affairs – I learn that Guiding is very concerned about the problem with street children and young girls being lured by sex tourists, the economy is going nowhere and even though there is a new prime minister to appease foreign aid donators, the same old faces are making up government numbers and no one expects much to change in the near future. They are very, very poor here and there are certainly no fat malagasy here.
After lunch I locate the Alliance on Independence Ave to book a ticket for tonight’s ‘spectacular’ and head back to Chalet to check out the room and supplied toiletries that had no labels.  I ask at reception to identify shampoo, conditioner and moisturiser, then shower, change, do a little hand washing and soon enough my tour roommate, Anna arrives. We introduce ourselves but Anna is a little taken aback that I have used her toiletries and have the window wise open drying clothes. OOPS this could be a bad start so closing the windows, I assure her that I had asked reception about the bottles and on the upside she is pleased (or relieved) that the double bed had been transformed into twin beds. Thankfully its time to attend the tour meeting, where the lovely Fanomezana H. Rajaonarisoa, just call me Fano, introduces himself, the ‘rebadged’ G Tours (something about Gap Clothing and brand names), a few ground rules via a printed sheet (he must have guided some real nincompoops in the past judging by some of the advice he’s giving) and some last minute changes to the itinerary. There are nine of us present now and another six are currently stranded at Johannesburg airport but hope to join us in time before we depart tomorrow morning. There are Jill and Brian from Melbourne, Lynda from Edmonton, Helen from Vancouver, Jon from Denmark, Anna from Israel, Sigrid from Austria. Clare from UK.
Can you see the heart shaped lake?
Arrangements are made to meet for dinner tonight but I have to give my apologies as I have booked the show tonight but promise to join them afterwards at the Chalet’s restaurant. Heading back into town for the Cirque Spectacle at Institut Francais which is a bit of a hoot – a live show with 2 performers doing magical things with ropes to wow the small children and amuse the rest of us. Afterwards I head back to meet the group who have finished their meal and making plans to return to the hotel to go to bed! It’s only 8.30pm so I head out again – yes my tour leader advises me against walking on my own but it is so early – so I dine out on a fab meal at Sakamanga then find the groovy Tana Arts Café for some good mohitos and meet the owner of the nearby Palms Hotel. He calls himself an indian, not malagasy and I find the distinction very interesting, as he is 2nd generation born on Madagascar. He is buying the delicious mohitos and not allowing me to return the shout so soon the fun must end because starting the tour with a hangover could be a bad omen.
Cute taxis
Bad enough that it has not been a very promising start to my group experience, I shouldn’t be late back to my roommate because she has the only key and will have to get up if I am back too late.
Time to buckle down and get with the program methinks so getting another groovy little taxi, I make it back to find Anna still up and about. We chat a bit and quickly learn we have a few opposing views on her country’s political issues so I shut up and try to end it well. In the morning the rest of the group have arrived and after quick hellos I head out again to the market for another yum Portuguese omelette leaving the rest of the group eating in house. The only drawback here at Chalet De Roses is the constant barrage of souvenir sellers with raggedy, begging children constantly camped out front. Over at Sakamanga there are a couple of stallholders across the road who call out each time you pass. Here, even if you are seated inside they are always motioning at you from outside. And the bamboo instrument that is played at you whenever you walk past – I wonder who would ever want to buy such a thing?(two weeks later on my return to Tana, I spot three tourists with this thing poking out of their bags – obviously its charm is just lost on me!) Heading back to the hotel we all board a comfy bus to begin our G tour of Madagascar together.


FACT: Madagascar is a unique experiment of alternative evolution that lasted undisturbed for some 60 million years and interrupted as late as some 2000 years ago by humans oddly arriving from Southeast Asia at first and only later appended by another wave coming from the African continent. Madagascar was separated from the rest of the world well before the emergence of mammals and so it was originally populated solely by reptiles allowing some of them, especially the chameleons and geckos to develop to a big variety and the few random mammal species that have been cast away from African continent differentiated into many species exploiting all unoccupied niches - particularly the endemic lemurs which are the only Madagascar primates.
FACT 2: Here as a white person, I am known by slang as a "vazaha"

No comments :