I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Monday, December 19, 2011


28 - 30 OCTOBER 2011
MASAI MARA, KENYA
Up and packed, but Ribbons tea is appalling this morning – there seems to be an oil slick on top.
A safari VAN??
I head out around the corner to the nearby taxi stands where I get a fab cup of tea, piping hot watching the morning news. The morning news consists of a chap standing at a table leafing through the daily papers reading articles of interest. Back to Ribbons for a great Spanish omelette with chappatis, drop off my key with their promise that “yes, you can get a room on Sunday, good bye madam”, before getting picked up for the tour. We drive to a hotel to pick up the safari van? and my fellow tourists. They are a couple from Canada – Kara and Joshua. Having arrived in Kenya direct from a week at a resort in Sharm el-Sheikh resort, to volunteer at a children’s home/orphanage a week ago, they found the volunteering opportunity turned African.
I love elephants
They were threatened with deportation if found working there whilst the US based director had assured them that as volunteers they only needed tourist visas. So with their plans now in disarray, they are planning to travel within Kenya for the time being as their friends and family had made bookings to join them at various times over the next few months. We meet our driver, Mike and then we’re go headed towards Narok then south to the famous Masai Mara Park – our safari vehicle being a Nissan Urvan complete with a roof that lifts up for game viewing. No 4wd?? It takes the best part of four hours to get to the camp and by now I am a little suspicious that we are not at the Sekanani Gate that I had booked for. Sure enough, when I ask Mike tells me we’re at the Oloolamutiek Gate, which is right on the far eastern edge of the park – far away from features that I wanted to be near. To mention that I am a little upset about this is an understatement and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it – I am stuck here on a PEGA tour. Conned again! My phone doesn’t have enough credit to make the call to Crater so Mike kindly lends me his phone and when I speak to them, they promise to ring me back. Knowing that I have no hope of getting back to Nakuru from here, I have no option but to swallow my grumpiness, settle in here and save up my arguments for Monday when I will certainly be looking for some kind of refund, even if my receipt says ‘Absolutely No Refunds’. The tents here at Mara Pega Camp are ok – self contained with comfy beds but certainly on the budget side. Francis the camp manager is very friendly and both he and Mike and I are very embarrassed about my tantrums but both understand that I am stuck here and we all have absolutely no choice about it. But it is VERY ordinary here – both the camp and the surrounding Masai village.
Here kitty, kitty, kitty
Back in the van after lunch for a late afternoon game drive, through the park gates to start spotting an occasional gnu or antelope, zebra and lion. ho hum – where are the herds of animals I had been looking forward to? After a couple of hours driving, we return to the lodge for a yummy dinner and good company with a large group of Swedish student teachers travelling with some of the uni staff. Two have been here for a few months living in Nakuru, others just arrived a week ago with three weeks to go and a couple of others have a whole semester in Nakuru ahead of them. Along with the Canadian couple and myself, we make for a very mixed bunch. Soon enough I make a discovery that the beer here is warm –ughh, what a disappointment!
awww so cute
My ordinary tent does, however provide me with a lovely night’s sleep and easy wake up for a great cooked breaky. Today we have a full day’s game drive and we take along our picnic lunches. In through the gate to spot the occasional animal again and after a while I voice my concern that I had thought we would see herds of animals. Soon enough after driving further and deeper into the park, the zebra herds appear, the giraffes and elephants start appearing in family groups. Yaahhhh  The morning passes in a blur of animals – lion prides, elephant herds, big birdies, buffalo, giraffe and a cheetah! Yeeaah! BUT and this is a BIG BUT, our driver insists on driving off road – a big no no for responsible game driving. At one point we get so bogged in thick mud along with another two safari vans for over an hour. The rutted tracks are a real mess here.
PEGA TOURS off road driving on the Mara
When I tell my Canadian friends that I would like to ask him to stay on the road, they agree with me but I get the feeling they really couldn’t care less. This is confirmed at lunch when chatting, I overhear Josh telling someone that “you wouldn’t see anything if they didn’t go off road.” Oh well, I will quietly submit to this shocker of a safari, saving up my arguments for a face off with Crater Travel on Monday. We park at the Mara River where we see wallowing hippos and three HUGE crocs lazing in the mud.

And down comes the rain, continuing intermittently through the afternoon on our drive back through the park. But we still see more lions and another cheetah for more highlights. Eventually back to the camp with an offer to visit the Masa Marai village but most of us decline on the basis of reports that it’s all a bit sad and expensive. I make an effort to walk out the gate just to stretch a blasted muscle spasm that I am suffering but keep being called back by blokes in blankets – Masai who advise me against walking on my own because of the wild animals. Now its 5pm, still light and there are plenty of other locals walking back and forth, so I venture onwards. One Masai makes a big effort running after me – madam, a man was killed by an elephant just near here. OK I relent and turn back with him until it dawns on me – there is no elephant poo nor broken trees around here, so no elephants. I tell him this, and turn back to walk down to the village and he gives up his last ditch effort.
Hungry vultures dining on leftovers
Good dinner and a busy night at the powerboard, for everyone to charge up while the generator is going. One of the swedes has the Yahtzee game – only dice, scorepad and not a lot of skill needed to play it which makes for a great travel game.  While we play, they recount how they were taken to where a tourist was killed by an elephant very nearby. I tell them that there really must not have been any elephants here for ages judging by the environment. They recount with ‘oh it was eleven years ago and there is a sign there.” AND these tourists paid money to be told this. Lucky Masai!
That’s why they were so persistent with me in the hope that I would pay/tip for them to walk with me. Next day is Sunday, our last day here in the Masai Mara here and an early start for a last game drive spotting more animals including being driven straight to where there are two lions mating and again it’s off road. In the face of human curiosity and the want to see everything there is to see, I understand that the pressure must be on the driver guide to ‘produce’ wildlife for the tourists. And with this in mind it should also garner him a decent tip at the end of the safari if the tourist is happy. BUT at what cost? While the Masai Mara park is big (1510 Sq. Kms), the off road tracks are badly eroded and the expectations of tourists to see animals will always remain undiminished. We are never satisfied. After an hour’s drive we head back to the gate for another lovely cooked breakfast together before packing up and making the long drive back to Nakuru with the highlight for me being lentils for lunch, but obviously not everyone’s favourite. We get to town just in time for another massive downpour that floods Nakuru – memories of arriving here last week.

FACT: Police are hunting for criminals after they escaped from Eldoret Prison. The chief Inspector said that the six inmates cut the ceiling board of their cell on Wednesday night and escaped without the knowledge of the warders. “They are hard core criminals and we have intensified the search.” He went on to say that the inmates were able to cut through the ceiling because it is made of cardboard. You don’t say????

No comments :