I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Friday, December 30, 2011

28 – 30 NOVEMBER 2011 ANTANANARIVO



28 – 30 NOVEMBER 2011
ANTANANARIVO
mmmmm zebu
I head out for another tasty market breakfast but return in time to farewell Gregor before he heads to the airport. He was lovely company and a wonderful ambassador for Austria unlike his countrywoman. I confirm with Claire that I will join her this afternoon to visit the Lemurs Park then contacting Marie Paule we arrange to meet for lunch at the same piano playing restaurant where I dined with Marthe.
I sms Pauline to see if she and Nene can join us as well. I learn more about Marie Paule’s big challenge – her WAGGGS role is planning for the 5th World Centre in Africa – what a amazing task that will be. We chat about the various associations that I have visited, their HQ facilities and the personnel I’d met. Marie Paule hadn’t heard about Shanzu at Mombaasa where I was going to stay so I promised to post the info on Facebook for her to check out. As time is short today, I dash off to meet up with Claire. The Lemur’s Park, which is in reality a lemur zoo but so what – we are up close and personal without having to traipse over mountains, with a few varieties of lemurs here that we hadn’t spotted. By now I am nearly lemur’ed out on which variety is who but it was very pleasant and easy viewing just the same. Check out the movie of the pair playing.
Heading back into town I ask the taxi to drop us near the KuDeTa café and shop for some quality browsing then Claire and I walk back via more steps and back lanes.
Claire and I at the Lemur's park
Claire dutifully follows me and we come across a game of bingo happening for the local housewives in those back streets. Later we dined out on a delicious wood fired pizza at Saka’s before Claire was on her way to the airport and I have a last couple of nights and a day in Tana before flying back to Nairobi. There are a few more shops with some small items to buy and pack and then its farewell to this lovely island. I organise to get the airport shuttle out to the airport which is efficient and ¼ of the taxi price!
I have really enjoyed Madagascar and with more time it would have been wonderful to have explored the north as well.
But I was lucky enough to visit the island whilst over here in Africa so I am very pleased about that. And to have visited this island and enjoyed its highlights in a very easy way with the tour was, in hindsight, terrific. The company on the tour was in the main, fantastic, the itinerary comprehensive and organisation fine.
Tana's railway station


FACT: Unfortunately Madagascar’s interior doesn’t seem to be showing many signs of any hoped for economic recovery and the country is very reliant on World Bank loans to help fight poverty here just as the rest of Africa. However on the other hand, inhabitants of Le Grande Isle have a fierce pride in the superiority of Malagasy culture, especially with the history of France colonising using Senegalese troops whom the Malagasy regarded as nothing more than dangerous brutes!! Sacre bleu!!

No comments :