I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Sunday, February 6, 2011

StLouis


Sunday 16 January
I join Michel in a taxi out to Zebrabar - apparently very well known if you’re an overlanding european. Many folk get a 4wd car or van, and bring it down through Mauritania for the challenging drive, then sell the car giving the sales money to various charities of whoever is leading the drive (Carol & Andrew - one to keep in mind perhaps?). Then there are the europeans who are holidaying here regularly in their camper vans or tents... I guess it’s a very nice alternative to going all the way to India. Michel gets the great dorm (a safari tent) all to himself for a cheap price & we join up with a couple of brits & and a swiss Chris for a boat tour of the river & birdlife. No Flamingos – I am soo disappointed. But after chatting with others I gather we have been sold the cheap version and there are flamingos further on in the park. ;( BUT I do get to see the Atlantic Ocean for the very first time. We return for a traditional meal of spaghetti bolognese & then some general lazing when I persuade Michel to put his surfboard together and try it out on the river. SO far all information he has been given is very positive for his venture, and the trial is a success – the board stays together. The crazy german will go onto surf the Atlantic Ocean tomorrow for sure! We spend the rest of the arvo lazing about before I head back to St Louis in the pre arranged taxi. I get dropped off on the other side of the bridge & spend the late afternoon walking back over the bridge to & around the island. Not a real lot going for it, I have to say – people surviving, selling anything & everything to anybody, and all in french! lol

No comments :