I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Sunday, February 6, 2011

St Loius in Africa


Monday 17 January
I debate heading off to Dakar, but looking for another lazy day. I telephone the number I have been given by Girl Guides Senegal, and converse with Espeance - at least she converses & I manage to comprehend that we will meet for lunch @ 12, at the Hotel sur la Poste, a historic french outpost as they established a mail run from Paris to Morroco to Dakar. daccour!  However I wait a while and start to think that I misunderstood the time, but soon here is Esperance a tall gorgeous sengelese woman introducing herself. We go for lunch at the Flamingo, and are soon joined by the National Program Manager Marie Caroline. I am invited to dinner that night @ Espi’s home which  is great - grilled fish, salad, and the inevitable pan (baguette) & pomme frites (french fries) both of which I should not eat but do cause they are always yummy. Her husband works at the hospital, speaks great english & I gain more insight to Senegal medical & education systems (we both deplore the koran begging boys), and by the time we've finished dinner Espy has Jocelyn on the ph, with recomendations of places to stay in Dakar, then her husband has a cousin who has a big house that is empty at the moment (not too sure where the italians are), and more contacts for the Casamance & Kaffrine! WOW GO GIRL GUIDES!!!!

No comments :