I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sightseeing


Thursday 20 January
Isle de Goree – or the Slave Island
 
Nice ferry ride out to a small island which is really very cute. But my word there are a lot of folk trying to sell a lot of the same thing there, of which I want none. And they are not easily persuaded of this fact, either! I check out the few sights and then see the supposed slave house with its door, may really be a furphy as no ship could have docked so close to the rocks there. And history shows that of the 20 million slaves transported from West Africa, only about 300 a year left from Isle de Goree.
Head off looking for a few errands in the busy city of Dakar. Can I find safety pins – yes, I do. But they are in little sets – of 3 sizes on a bigger safety pin. The seller soon understands that I only want one of the sizes and three of us all set to work liberating 100 of the size safety pin that I want to make giveaway flag pins. I think of Monica while we’re doing this, knowing she would have loved this craziness, especially when the bloke wants to charge me for the labour, after we’re done!

No comments :