I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sindou Peaks


12/13 February 2011
Sindou Peaks
Another TCV bus (I’m a convert) to Banfora, and on arriving decide that as I’m already packed I’ll keep on heading south down to Sindou for the night. This is the home of Sindou Peaks – a landscape unlike anything else Burkina has. Very ‘other wordly’, and all in quite a compact area. I get there in plenty of time to get a traditional hut to stay in, a guide and an energetic walk into the peaks to witness a gorgeous sunset. No animals save a few pigeons, but I fear they won’t be long for the pot! The encampment is part of local community tourism, and has a little shop with purple tie dye (1 for me and 1 for you Franya), jams (perfect for the boring baguette)  all manner of jewellery and music instruments all created locally and with proceeds going directly back in to the community. All very feel good, and of course I love supporting ventures like this. Meet a french couple staying for a few weeks here, who have brought the village a set of computers after fundraising and organising electricity a few years previously. I called them heroes and I reckon if you can manage power for a whole village, then that’s exactly what you are! Next morning brings a lovely sunrise amongst the ‘cones’ and then a local mini bus back north to Banfora.
FACT: Burkina Faso was known previously as the Republic of Upper Volta. Like Mali, it’s a landlocked country in west Africa, surrounded by six countries: Mali to the north, Niger to the east, Benin to the southeast, Togo and Ghana to the south, and Côte d'Ivoire to the southwest. Inhabitants are known as Burkinabes

No comments :