I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Saturday, March 5, 2011

OUAGADOUGOU


20/21 February 2011
Falling gracefully (not) in OUAGADOUGOU (wag-a-do-goo)
Cool african name and I soon become very acquainted with this town. After busing up from Gaoua with the fabulous STC, get a room for a couple of nights as they are booked up for FESPACO – Burkina’s International Film Festival. Gotta love my timing! So I head out with a taxi to find another place to move to, and in the front yard of one place I inadvertently step oh so awkwardly (as only I can) into a hole – who put that hole there? I had my walking boots on, but I distinctly heard a crack as I watched my ankle bend as I have never seen it bend before (who taught it yoga?). Blokes are apologetic and we all survey the hole and observe its danger! I limp back to the taxi, find another place that is also full but will let me pitch my tent during Fespaco and I am oh so pleased. Back to the Pavillion Verde, to unpack for the couple of nights, take off my boots and watch my ankle then foot gradually puff up and turn a beautiful shade of black over the next 8 hours! I bandage tightly and elevate it overnight and begin to ponder what next. I obviously can’t camp with this injury, and I’d like to get it xrayed in case there’s any small breaks. But I cannot even hobble now, so utilise the wifi from my room to email Travelsure, my insurance company. And email them again, and again over 15 hours without a response. Hmmm I then try skypeing Terry, who calls Sydney with me on the computer and they open a case. 2 hours later the hostel manager appears – come to the phone. It’s Sydney who want my hotel to call an ambulance to take me to the hospital – the manager doesn’t want to because “it’s not for white people”. This bird in Sydney has absolutely NO IDEA, and I suggest to her that I need a private clinic. Who will translate for me in the hospital? – oh, she hopes one of the doctors might speak a little english! She’s seems a little surprised by the fact that the medical system here is different to Oz. Who is this person I’m talking to? The hostel manager here rings a clinic he knows, a doctor comes several hours later and immediately takes me with him in his air-conditioned car, to his air-conditioned clinic where we ascertain that xrays will be taken after 4pm today and till than I will stay @ his air-conditioned clinic and rest. Now we are talking CARE! Have I mentioned the heat factor here – around 38 degrees – HOT weather. I’m served lunch with a fresh carrot salad that I can’t resist! I felt the tray to be ‘sun hot’ meaning it had been sitting for a while but I figured it had to be ok? WRONG – within 2 hours I was sick, just to go along with my throbbing bruised ankle. By 6pm that night I was xrayed and assured that nothing was broken and I was relieved as the insurance company was threatening to transport out of Burkina and home in case of a break. The good Doctor Kofi organised another hotel room for me as I couldn’t stay where I was and couldn’t go out looking for another room. By 9pm I was ensonced in 2 star comfort of the Koulouba Hotel for the next week at least. Although my room was on the 2nd floor, I wasn’t going anywhere for a few days and later the stairs proved to be good gentle exercise to regain some flexibility in my ankle when the swelling had subsided. I had a phone, tv (only french) fridge, air con, fan, mossie net and a window that opens with flyscreen. Spotless loo and shower a few hobbles away from the BEST mattress I have slept on since leaving Oz last year. AND the room gets made up each day. LUXURY I slept and slept for the next 2 days. A few communication problems followed with Covermore – and in the end I got Terry to ring Sydney AGAIN, for them to ring me back at their expense and I got to talk to Blair the only person @ Covermore with any brains, commonsense and knowledge, I’m sure! Thank you dear Blair.
FACT: FESPACO = Festival Panafrican du Cinéma et de la Télévison de Ouagadougou

No comments :