I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bobo Dilassou


10/11 February
Very poor children live here
Feel sorry for this captured owl

DInky baskets for your bill
Thursday is a day of leisure to rest my hand that was cramping after hanging on tight to the throttle and brake all day yesterday (only occasionally in panic)! Wander about town, lunch @ a local restaurant w/wifi, check out their very good mud Mosque and wander the Grand Marche. Not forgetting the obligatory nightclub for live music with cold beer. There are a few ‘famous’ nightclubs here in town – Les Bambous, Le Bois d’Ebone, Le Moonlight etc and as a dutiful tourist I feel I should at least have a look see (and a beer) to check out the great music on offer at each one during my time here. Just for comparison, of course. AS well there is a naming ceremony for a new baby happening across the road from the where I’m staying, and that goes all day & ALL night!! Much music dj’ing and continual dancing from the women, and of course they’re pretty stoked if a babou joins in, which of course I do, as I walk past during the day. I buy some fruit for the very poor kids next door – I reckon the youngest will be dead within the year – very listless, malnourished etc etc. But mum will go on bearing babies cause that’s just what you do here if you’re poor, hmm
Friday I try another venture on the roads touring the countryside via the now more reliable mobylette - I have lost count of the all the helpful blokes who have at one time or another tinkered with said conveyance! I ride out the 20km to visit Foret de Kou, a designated ‘forest’ that is a delight to wander its many kms of paths. Nearby is the Kou river, although they want 500cfa to swim in VERY shallow water, where locals are doing their washing – I give it a miss and head safely back to Bobo. Tonight there is good music at a local bar – if you buy a beer, you get a ‘ringside’ table. After a couple of hours of energetic drumming, dancing and general merriment another day passes easily here.
FACT: The death toll for kids under 5 in West Africa is estimated to be in the millions, and usually from preventable & curable causes, well drownings are notorious along with malnutrition. One in every six children in sub-Saharan Africa will die before his or her fifth birthday. This region is described by UNICEF as the most difficult place in the world for a child to survive

No comments :