I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday 21 Dec 2010
Disembark the flying sardine can, get through Immigration to find my pack with its two 'attachments' has made it through unscathed. Get a taxi all the way to Phanat Nikhom by 6pm (now operating on Thai time) as per Franya's advice where Moo is up and lets me in to sleep for a few hours. Thank you Moo. There are now 4 dogs at the restaurant - 2 white & old & 2 young & yappy.  The restaurant is closed today in anticipation of the upcoming busy trade over Xmas & new year.  
Noiy & Bee arrive around 11am with Bee's father. They are all very kind and present me with gifts of a gorgeous sarong from Bee & sandals from Noiy. I am a little embarrassed as my gifts are only tokens (read no room in my bag!). After photos together, we head over to Baeng Saen for a fabulous lunch (not as good as Moo's & Wan's: grllled gai, som tum, crab khao pad etc  mmmmmmmmm (diet? wot diet?). Then we visit an aquarium @ the university. Noiy buys 4 tix, but is soon pulled up afterwards to pay the extra for the farang. This is the first time they realise foreigners pay more! Its a lovely relaxing visit, especially reminicsing about our aquarium visit in Sydney. From there we're off to the HUGE (& still growing) Chinese temple near Noiy's home, to marvel at the unlimited chinese imaginatve decorations.Surely its not time for dinner? Tom Yum goong & fresh boiled crab - yummy = by the beach. So relaxing & certainly a world away from where I'm headed in a few hours. We go back to Noiy's village where we meet her friend who has kindly offered to make the drive into Bankok, as Noiy feels a little nervous about driving at night to the city in her small car. The Mercedes does the trick & I'm soon deposited at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport on my insistance. I want to change, freshen up and try repacking again as this time my pack must transit Nairobi. Of course the best laid plans of mice & men do go astray - my malaria medication was expensive on Austalia, so i bought enough to trial it and start the pre travel bit with full intentions of stocking up in Bangkok @ Boots. I realise too late that I have forgotten the vital step of actually getting to the pharmacy to make the purchase and wonder at my chances of getting Larium (mefloquine) in Africa.  I get my pack gladwrapped, to ensure the attachments don't go astray, check in & settle in for another 9 hour flight across the Indian Ocean to Kenya. Another late dinner, sleep then another early refreshment before landing @ 6am Kenyan time

No comments :