I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Thursday, June 18, 2015

23-26 DECEMBER 2011: AXUM & WUKRO



Posted June 2015 - sorry no fotos yet

23 – 24 December 2011
Fly to Axum – City of Faith
Two nights
Another easy trip and check into the Africa Hotel. Walking through town to check out the sights, the highlights of this town are faith based and very historic. First up one (yes one) ticket covers all the sights in town, and is good for the time you stay here – this must qualify as an Ethiopian bargain!
Check out the Aksumite stelae – fields of them! They were used as tombstones and monuments to local rulers throughout nth east Africa and here they are in abundance – ranging in size form 1m – 33m, all sculpted from single pieces of granite with superb detail and architectural design. This northern field has over 120 stelae, most fallen & prone now. One, the King Ezana’s Stele was described in 1805, by a traveller, Henry Salt and holds great religious significance. Of course there are many more remaining unexcavated but in the end a stele is a stele and I will admit I was a little underwhelmed by these sights. 
Now The Ark of the Covenant – this is a sight for true believers, mainly because you will never get in to see if this biblical relic is really there – just believe the priests and pay your entrance to the church grounds and that is as far you can go. Just believe!
Then there are the tales Aksum was the home of the Queen of Sheba and her Bath is still in use today for clothes washing.  Of course, there are churches here – St Mary of Zion the most famous – there are tombs, museums and plenty more stellae. The St Mary of Zion Churches – old was great & the new is quite ugly but it did have a great little museum attached to it. But after the highlight of Lalibela’s rock churches, I am sated for sights & happy to move on after visiting the archaeological museum here. Meeting Tony (UK) gives me the heads up on a bus he has been offered tomorrow to Mekele – even though I am only going as far as Wukro this will suit me, and the agent turns up with the owner of the bus. We haggle a price and I am more than happy with plans to get away easily tomorrow.


24 – 26 Dec 2011
WUKRO
Attempts to visit rural churches
Early morning 5.30am and one minibus is nearly full – I am last in. But what about Tony? So I demur – bad move and then spend the next hour waiting for the next bus to fill… But I did bag the front seat and for this trip through the mountains the road is amazing, and the views breathtaking. Stopping in Adwa it’s an early lunch for all of us – a ‘carb’ special of pasta, potatoes, bread, a sprinkling of vegies and plenty of berbere sauce to liven it up – another dish that is strangely tasty. I get dropped in Wukro and a couple of young men approach me, who speak good English “we are from Mekele, we are researchers" but they are not helpful when I ask for Teklimillenium Guesthouse, no they don’t know where it is. They can recommend me a hotel but I tell them I want a guest house - $20? No, $5. They laugh and I head off up the road to find the guesthouse a few doors up and get a room for $2. Heading back out I meet the same guys again and ask them if they know where I can get fasting food – they laugh again saying, this is small town, no fast food here. With this I become exasperated – they know too little and make assumptions. I find a place across the road with good food and I end up eating most of my meals there for a couple for dollars each time. I find the Chirkos church but don’t pay the entrance, preferring to sit in the courtyard watching the devotions of locals and listening to the chanting that is communicated via a loudspeaker. The priest here is friendly but I have heard that this isn't the case at the majority of churches around here. I head to the southern end of town to find the tourist office – they are helpful to the point of showing me hand drawn map and offering me a rental minivan for 1000 birr to visit two churches. This sounds a little steep so they advise me to try a couple of hotels to find more farinji to share with. I ask around but end up confirming I am the only farinji in town. Going back he agrees with me and I ask why he sent me to the hotels if he knew this?? He laughs and instead advises me to try for a couple for churches north of Wukro using public transport. How will I find the church? “Take a kid for a guide” Shouldn’t the kid be in school? “Oh that doesn’t matter”… hmmm Next morning after a little bit of argy bargy at the guesthouse about no water again, I head out, find the right mini bus and show the conductor the name of the church asking to be dropped at the junction. Instead I end up getting dropped further north at the village of north, so I try again as the junction is a good three of four kms south. Another young bloke gets on and offers to take me to the church turn off, the minibus loads up, we take off and then I get out with the young bloke to find I am at the Petros and Paulos churches turn off, still four kms short of where I want to go, and I am watching the lift I had driving away. I walk some more, get another lift from another mini bus and look for the supposed sign. I spot one, get out and find that it’s a US Aid sign. Walking further, kids offer to take me to the church, five or six kms away. By now the sun is high, way too hot and I really cannot be bothered so I find a nice heap of shaded stones and wait for a lift. I am a source of wonder and amazement for anyone passing, especially the children who demand a pen or money. One girl comes along and shoos a young boy who won’t walk away and then proceeds to demand a pen for herself. She shows me the branch of a gum tree she uses to sweep the road??? Most minibuses are full but a 4wd pulls up for me and I get back to Wukro in time to finish my washing using newly found water, have lunch, relax and walk around town some more. It must be my imagination because the demands for anything seem to have eased off – and folk are smiling. Buying bananas again I receive a gift of an orange! The coffee shop is chatty and kind and I think I am beginning to relax a bit. Perhaps I will stay another day or so, forget about the churches and just soak up a bit of rural Ethiopia just for fun. Asking back at the tourist office to tell them about my abject failure this morning I ask about visiting another churches west of Wukro – tomorrow is market day and transport will be heading past there? “Yes but only a 50/50 chance of getting transport back” so I weigh it up and decide that I can do without the stress especially as this church is reputed to be unfriendly to tourists so spend the afternoon to revisit Chirkos church, this time paying the admission to enter and admire ancient, faded frescoes, watch the fervent adorations of young and old as they sing, chant and pray for hours on end.  The priest is very friendly again, feeding me something that that I give away to the begging kids outside the church gates. Relaxing afternoon with polite children with big wide smiles, who are excited to shake hands with me. Some school kids are a bit silly and one boy comes up asking for pen with a pen in his hand. At least the demands for money have stopped and I am feeling relaxed and ready for more travel on the tourist trail again.
PS  A common question I am asked is “how is the air conditioning here in Ethiopia?” Huh? I now know they are asking me if the weather is to my liking!

No comments :