I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Monday, September 19, 2011


9 – 12 SEPTEMBER 2011
ILHA DE MOZAMBIQUE
UNESCO World Heritage Site

The bus fills gradually and by 9.30am we’re off with only a few police roadblocks with the last one giving us the most trouble. A couple of back seats have been paid for and are being used to transport ten long boxes of hundreds of tiny chirping chickens. Now when they are loading them on, I do consider the risk of avian flu but they do provide a pleasant background noise. One policeman takes immediate exception to this cargo and tells the passengers that it is illegal for chickens and people to travel together.
On the bridge to the island, on a matolo
Everyone remains silent as the driver and jockey try pleading their case. The policeman comes back on board to tell us all off for allowing it to happen in the first case and one passenger answers that they have no rights. The policeman takes exception to this and assures everyone that they should immediately report such cases as these to the police straight away. RIGHT! AS IF anyone in their right mind would give up their seat while a bus is loading, to go and report the ‘crime’.  Meanwhile my seat buddy buys up snacks all along the way and insists on feeding me – like I need it – but so kind, eh?
We eventually reach the island’s bridge – all 3.5 kms of it and change over to a small matolo because the bridge cannot take the weight of the minibus. With this move one lady discovers she has lost a 10kg back of maize and there is much fretting about this but nothing anyone can do about it. Another man starts telling me that the muslims here hate the Christians – he is a Christian here with his church to paint houses… what can you say to such statements other than to nod your head and wish them luck I guess.  I eventually locate Ruby’s Backpackers – it is FABULOUS!!
Owners are away and friends are looking after it ans are oh so friendly. There is a great kitchen so I can cook up the produce I bought on the train ride, the dorm is fantastic, the rooftop terrace is amazing and the music is always good.  WOW and after a few hours of walking around I find the island is FABULOUS too.
The crumbling edifices remind me of Havana, the winding sandy laneways remind me of Yazd in Iran and the nicest time to walk is late afternoon and early evening when everyone is sitting out catching a cool breeze, chatting to neighbours, children playing games in the streets and stores slowly closing up for the night. Add in the lovely Portuguese language, a full moon and warm weather it is all added up to a fantastic place to visit. There is the daily walk to the fish market to choose between a fresh fish or prawns or a lobster to cook up with my fresh vegies. And when the sellers are down tho the last kg or so they come knocking at the backpackers to see if mzungus will buy.
Unfortunately I am beginning to suffer – a bottle of decongestant I bought in Lusaka is all but finished and still I’m coughing. I visit the pharmacy here, cough for him and he suggests a week’s worth of amoxicillin. I take it and after a few days find some symptoms easing so I hope for the best. Meanwhile Tony, he of the sim card in Nampula is ringing me evry day but I am as bad here as at home and rarely hear the phone if I have it with me so I miss his calls. He takes to messaging me every day to declare unswerving love and ask when I am returning to Nampula. I give him open answers, which here in Africa is very acceptable – better than telling the truth.
The days pass quietly and peacefully walking form one tip of the island to the other – it is only 3 kms long and only 500m at its widest point. Stonetown has many interesting buildings that include an old hindu temple, disused banks, colonial administration buildings and every corner is another view where yesterday at a different time of day it was different. I really love the mixture of Portuguese, indian and muslim cultures colliding peacefully enough although the majority of people are also desperately poor here. I am very happy I made the effort to get here and it has been more than generously repaid in the sights, sounds and general atmosphere I have found here. If you ever get a chance, go to Ilha de Mocambique – exotic and lovely, palm trees and the biggest, most ornate hospital I have ever seen. Old mansions, churches and military installments.

FACT: Vasco de Gama landed at Mozambique Island over 500 years ago, in 1498 on his way to India. The Fort of Sao Sebastiao is the oldest and most complete fort still standing in sub Saharan Africa and its Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte was built in 1522 and considered to be the oldest European building in the southern hemisphere.  The Palaceio de Sao Paulo is dated from around the early 1610 and contains an altar built in Goa by chinese artists. There are two towns on the island – Stonetown where stately buildings and churches slowly age into decay and Makuti town, meaning straw town, where indigenous folk were forced to live under thatched roofs. Makuti town is also built very low, metres below the road level showing the amount of rock removed by slaves to build the Fort, Palace and Stonetown for the Portuguese during their occupation

Vasco, himself
The Palacio




aaahhhhhhh





Straw/thatch at Macuti Town



No comments :