I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Friday, June 24, 2011

Windhoek, Namibia


17 - 23 MAY 2011
WINDHOEK, Namibia

We arrive back at Chameleon around 2pm and we fondly farewell Chris & Kaash who have been such good company, as they are flying back to Capetown this afternoon. I settle into Chameleon Backpackers and my tent, complete with bed, drawers and bedside lamp then head up the road to check out the city. First food shopping so as I can use the great kitchen at the lodge, Claudia and I cook up a storm this evening in Chameleon’s great kitchen – me making soup, whilst Claudia is going gourmet with a German Potato Salad to take to a dinner tomorrow night. She kindly invites me along to which I accept. There is also a huge Crafts Centre nearby, with many independent sellers but a lot looks to be coming from South Africa so I will save my pennies for there. Inga had told me about a café with free wifi in town, so next day I find the Mug and Bean café, and become their best customer who buys the least and sits there for hours over the next few days. I skype with Terry most days, catch up with Kyle and also with Lynda Blanche for a while. Namibia is a very young country, only obtaining their independence from South Africa in 1990. It is resource rich with uranium mines and diamond fields that use manual labour to “pick up the stones”.  I’ve just finished Gullivers Travels (a bit of slog by the end) and for anyone who haven’t read it, this what the Yahoos fight over: ‘coloured stones lying around on the ground, gathering and then hiding them for themselves”. One miner says that the diamonds will last at least another 20 years as they cannot use heavy equipment and that it may be unlimited as miners force back the sea to uncover more. Of course these areas are prohibited to mere tourists so alas I cannot report upon the veracity of what I was told! But he assured us that you could request a transit pass, you would be accompanied by an armed guard and your car could not stop ANYWHERE along your drive. My word it does sound amazing. Thursday night Claudia and I head up to Millionaires Hill, along with a swedish couple from the hostel. This area is an expat suburb affording fabulous views over Gabarone and the house we visited was very comfy. My wine was a snap, being an identical brand to another bought along – yes we were suckers for the sticker that gave it a bronze medal somewhere. And the other bottle brought along was also the same as another I had bought to give to Jacqui (in acknowledgement of the great trip and also her wine at dinners) – I picked it cause it had a sticker saying a wine magazine had awarded it best value wine (no, I am not cheap!). This dinner party turned in to a loaves and fishes meal as Claudia’s potato salad and tinned wieners were enjoyed a crowd of 20 people and along with ICE CREAM, nice music and good conversation from many varied young people working and living in Windhoek. One young scottish man was a graduate economist and was finding his work very interesting as it included opportunities he could only dream of back home; like writing some of Namibia’s budget! The rest of my time in Windhoek passed quietly, traipsing the city, checking out identical souvenirs, and meeting passing tourists at Chameleon. These included a german couple who had ridden great motorbikes all the way down from home along Africa’s east coast and a dutch couple on the road for 4 years riding pushbikes about Africa (possibility, Janice?). Met an english girl working for PAWS with Africat – when I enquired why they wouldn’t employ a local, I can only allude to you her very racist (and stupid) reply, to which I found myself quite shocked! The basic gist was that she felt her skin colour made her a better worker!

No comments :