I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. RL Stevenson

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare? Welsh poet, William Henry Davies

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

GHANA - Country Number 6 – GHANA


6 March 2011
Bolgatanga World Vision Sponsor Visit
Oooh an NGO 4WD

Who is Ghanpoazii? Now I know 2nd from the left!

Ghanpoakii's dad is drummer

And here are the Guinea Fowl

Easy bus ride travelling south from Ouagadougou to the Ghana border. No problem with the border crossing, but it was a long, drawn out affair in the heat for everyone on board to complete all formalities. After starting out 6am I finally arrived in Bolgatanga around 12.30pm. Staying at Nsamini Guesthouse and yes they were expecting me because World Vision had telephoned them. BUT we didn’t have their number so I couldn’t advise them of my arrival. I put my feet up for an hour and soon enough they turn up – they’d been waiting on the main road looking for the bus and had not seen one pass??!! We head out to their operations base where they have displays of activities and photos of the only other Sponsor who has visited. I sign my life away that I won’t steal/abuse/hurt/brainwash the child I am visiting and then we head out to Sheaga, a small village south of Bolga near the Tonga Hills. We meet up with the WV letter writer and the Village Chief, before going to the village proper. And what a welcome I received there – I was so humbled and overcome by their enthusiasm I was almost moved to tears! There was dancing from the women, the men, and finally the children. There was singing and drumming all just to welcome and thank me for visiting! I felt so embarrassed by their FANTASTIC display of hospitality the whole time I visited, especially as I am not the Sponsor but was certainly treated as one. The WV blokes had decided that it might be fun for me to pick Ghanpoazi (gan posie) from a lineup of 4 girls – now remember I’m not her sponsor and have seen a photo of her once! There were 2 taller girls and I hazarded a guess that perhaps the photo was at least a year ago and perhaps she had grown so I confidently declared that she was one of the 2 taller girls – NO. OK, that left 2 girls – 50% chance of getting it right – so I pick the smiling girl. Wrong again – I felt terrible for Ghanpoazi for my not recognising her so I told that she was more beautiful that her photo had shown... I don’t think she really brought it as we couldn’t raise a smile from her at all. World Vision gave a welcome speech, I responded and thanked them for their warm welcome, thanked WV yada yada yada, then more dancing, singing and drumming. Soon it’s photos with the family where I am presented with very generous gifts of 3 live guinea fowl, a huge bucket of shea butter, a traditional woven tunic and a ‘bolga’ basket.  We visited the family compound and Ghanpoazi’s home, not too sure where Ghanpoazi’s siblings were, but I gather there are quite a few somewhere. Soon enough we’re heading back to the WV depot where I leave the guinea fowl to their fate with the staff and arrangements are made for driving me to Tamale tomorrow! WOO HOO ANOTHER ride in a NGO’s 4WD – gotta love it.
FACT: Roads are nearly all made here in Ghana and buses are good. Tro tros are little minivans that leave when full and often travel way too fast – they are the cause of many road accidents here but other than that are a great way to get around, are plentiful and don’t seem prone to breaking down!!

No comments :